Vasectomy is a quick in and out procedure
Key points about vasectomy:
- Vasectomies are generally very safe, and complications are rare
- Men who get a vasectomy say that they feel more free when having sex with their partner because they don’t have to worry about an unplanned pregnancy
- Getting a vasectomy is a simple outpatient procedure.
- Approximately half a million men get the procedure each year in the U.S.
- They are even more popular in the time around March Madness, where men can recover while watching the NCAA Tournament.
- Vasectomy does not affect semen production. Instead, it prevents sperm from being transported to mix with other seminal fluids. Men who have vasectomies still experience normal orgasms!
- It’s possible to reverse a vasectomy if a man changes his mind later and decides to have children. However, reversal success rates can vary between 40-90%
- Vasectomies do not affect a man’s sexual function, sex drive or sex life.
- The procedure and recovery is usually painless, and men generally experience minimal, if any, side effects.
After the procedure:
- Return to work in two to three days
- Resume normal exercise in seven days
- Start having sex again in seven days
- Bruising and swelling should be gone within two weeks